Aug 21 - Sentences S/T EP

   

  Local Wichita slightly off-kilter rock GOATs Sentences released their self-titled EP Sentences in April of this year. I write about this now, because as of today (or yesterday, depending on when I get this out,) they've announced a new limited edition CD of the EP with a new single, Fixer.



    The CD will be available at the Wichita Forever Fest Hardcore stage at The Furnace, including a lyric insert.

   The emotional hardcore, mathcore, post-hardcore-y EP is aggressive and resentful. I've enjoyed every single time I have seen this band, and I truly believe they are one of the best bands in the scene right now. Terminal and Window both feel somewhat angular. You can truly see the chaotic metalcore inspiration in these tracks. Curiosity is a bit more hardcore punk, but has become one of my favorites to see performed. Aaron Towner's drumming is stand-out on this track in my opinion. Severed is hype as hell. I love the guitars on this track. It's as dissonant as the rest, vocally and lyrically, except for the sung vocals, which are quite nice and fit surprisingly well with the track! Tragic Optimist's vocals are surprisingly grunge adjacent for a punk EP, but I quite like them! I really like the last track, Written Off, as it's a good closer. Malorie Dewey's vocals are quite courageous and determined.

    Overall, the EP is a practice in making music that's resentful, emotional, but not immatureishly emo.

If you've met Joe Simpson around (writer of Wichita music-centric neocities blog Circular Reference), I don't think you would immediately assume he'd be in a band as punk as this. Not that I'd ever try to underestimate him, but he's a legally classified "chill guy." Unsurprisingly, this EP escapes the curse of DIY band bad mixing. I really do have to give the guy a shoutout, as he mixed, mastered, and engineered the whole album.

    The single, Fixer, is full of self-reinforcement in it's lyrics. It shows how Sentences feels like a diary. It's manifestational, inspirational, but spiteful.

    As said before, Sentences will be playing the Wichita Forever Fest on 8/22 at the Furnace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview with Lucas Taylor of This is More Than a Place

Aug '26: MUTT's 2026 Recommended Releases of the Month + Introduction

Interview with Will of Pyrogenetic Waste and Melancholy Dreams