Interview with Will of Pyrogenetic Waste and Melancholy Dreams

 When first starting this blog, I asked on Instagram to be contacted by experimental artists in the Wichita scene. A big ask for an account with zero posts or cred or whatnot, but I have a great appreciation for every artist who dares to be extreme or experimental in their work. This is the first interview of this series. I was graciously contacted by Will of Melancholy Dreams, Mechanical Defleshing, Pyrogenetic Waste, and Home Invasion.





Q: Who are you and what's your deal?


A: My name's Will, and I have a big passion for everything extreme. I LOVE making music. I'm in a few projects: Melancholy Dreams (beatdown hardcore) Mechanical Defleshing (brutal death metal) Pyrogenetic Waste (hyperblasting goregrind) and Home Invasion (power electronics). My biggest goal and deal is trying to help the Wichita scene flourish and be more diverse with my projects, one step at a time!


Q: What really made it click that making extreme music was for you? What are some of your influences? (musical or not)


A: Oh man, great question! I'd say my biggest inspiration is a guy named Zack Fogle. he is such a diverse and amazing musician. Some of his notable projects are Metrorrhagia, Aquatic Death Investigations, Forced Entry, Infibulation, and MANY more. Making extreme music for me is like another type of therapy. Pushing the boundaries of what we call "music" and how we use our equipment "properly" really draws me in. I'm also a BIG fan of pathology and true crime. those 2 themes are very heavy in my more extreme projects. But overall, just pushing boundaries of norms really helped me become the musician I am today.


Q: So how did you start as an artist?


A: Just messing around in BandLab, actually. I have a strong hatred for that daw/platform now because the effects and latency suck, but hey, it's good for beginners who need something as a placeholder. My first "band" was called Methd up Corpse. We did a few ep's/demos and a show, and that was pretty much it for that one. I also had another project called post ictal cannibalism, which was like grindviolence/goregrind. Did a demo and a show at the dock, and that was it for that one too. Both were very fun to do, and I'm sad they aren't a thing anymore, but we have to look back on good times instead of sad ones. I've had a few one-off projects too that weren't anything special. I'm very hopeful with what the future holds with my other projects. Especially Melancholy Dreams. Patches and CDs will be made soon for that. So stoked!


Q: Do you have any unique philosophy to art or music or the scene that you'd like to share?


A: Nothing super unique. just be YOU. Do what you like to do and be strong to your stances and values. contribute to your music scene as much as you possibly can. We need this scene to thrive so hard. Make a band with your friends. Do something fun. Experiment. Who cares if people don't like your music. It's for you not them. Be passionate!


Q: What's one place you'd love to perform? Or some artists you'd love to perform alongside?

A: I'd love to play at the furnace! I'd also love to do some crazy ass mixed bill show with all my friends who have supported me. Kurbstompt and Restrict are the 2 bands who I wanna play with the most. Amazing music from both! Such talented folks.


Q: What programs do you use for your music, or other important parts of your setup?


A: I usually use Reaper. it can be very intimidating and complex at first. I use a M-Track audio interface and an Epiphone guitar. nothing special tbh!!!! I also use a Boss PS-5 pitch shifter for all my vocals. A tiny but mighty beast of a pedal!! eventually, I'll switch over to a DigiTech Vocal 300 (or as I call the purple monster) for vocals!!


Q: alright sick!!! Do you have any upcoming releases? or releases out RN you'd like to plug?


A: I have a few splits for my grind project coming out later this year!!! Everyone can check it out on @pyrogeneticwaste on Insta! Or you can always hmu for more information!


Q: hell yeah. I'm glad to hear. how has being a musician changed your life?


A: in such good ways. It has dragged me out of a depression I was in, and it has truly changed me for the better! We as people will always face tough times in life, and music is a great way to soothe and help. Never lose hope in yourself, things will get better.


Thank you to Will of Pyrogenetic Waste and many other great projects for this interview!! 

Check out their stuff here:

Pyrogenetic Waste

Melancholy Dreams


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview with Lucas Taylor of This is More Than a Place

Aug '26: MUTT's 2026 Recommended Releases of the Month + Introduction