Aug 15 — Weekly Flash Music Recs

Swaggerboyz - Perdiendo rasgos adolescentes (2026)
If you've been in my car you've heard this one. Psychedelic Argentinian plugg that spent possibly a day or two at number one on the RYM 2026 charts. It deserves to go back up there. Buscando is probably going to remain my favorite music video of the year. I hate to be the guy that's like "well this isn't usually my thiiing..." but it's true! This is the first plugg album I've listened to but I'm so hooked on this album. It's transcendental. I don't do psychedelics so I can make the comparison of this sound to Buspirone side effects. Or a fever dream. According to the artists themselves, the record is apart of a new genre called "Bing." 
Have Heart - The Things We Carry (2006)
I will never shut up about Have Heart. Boston has consistently had a good scene from everything I've heard out of there. Converge, Siege, Negative FX, Gang Green, etc. All very different. Named after the Vietnam War novel, The Things We Carry is a conscious, uplifting Straight Edge record. I love Have Heart because they feel uniquely passionate. More so than a lot of Hardcore I hear, it just feels so true. I feel like I'm going to church in a good way. Some say Straight Edge is preachy but I think that's only because of how legit of a passion it is. It's a real fucking lifestyle! I won't pretend like im straight edge myself but I love all the straight edge people in the scene and commend them. They have something I don't. This album is anthemic to sobriety. I don't see this album as naivë or dated with age, but accessible and hella enduring. Enduring the changes in hardcore, in society, etc. 
DJ Billy E - Toxic Bass (1993)
I love weird-ass techno. This isn't even intentionally strange to my knowledge, but it sounds like your ears are getting fucked. Now, the intention of free car music is stress testing subwoofers, a past time of people much cooler than me. Car audio competitions and the like. I listened to this through shitty Skullcandys, but had a fantastic time ruining my hearing to She Got Much Back. In a vacuum, of course this record is weird! It's got a very specific purpose. It's like listening to library music for fun or easy-listening with intentful ears.  I don't think there's much use listening to it through just a phone speaker, though. It's minimal and simple as hell, but charming. 
Madonna - American Life (2003)
Maybe an odd inclusion due to the fact nobody reading this will likely be the type to listen to Madonna willingly (I know what you are...) but my god it's a fantastic record. One of her most underrated records outside of the Electroclash title track. Seen as somewhat of the ugly sister of Ray of Light and Music, Madonna's American Life is a somewhat cheesy but very personal record that manages to be a same meditation and dance-floor surrealism. This is another record I've just been hooked on. I will make the statement it is the mother to Charli Xcx's new record. I don't care who you are, at least listen to the title track. 
Dissecting Table - Ultimate Psychological Description II
Both industrial and post-industrial, this mechanical noise record is heavy in the way a good sludge metal record is. In fact, it's pretty reminiscent of industrial metal. Rhythmic with elements of dark electro, dark ambient, and Throbbing Gristle style industrial. It feels like you've been kidnapped by a cicada man, filled with chippy, mechanical, bug-sounding squeaks and metallic vocals. I haven't heard a record like this, but Godflesh comes to mind.
Various Artists - RRR 500: Various 500 Lock-Grooves by 500 Artists (1998)
This insane feat of a record is quite literally what it says on the tin. Filled with lock-grooves by artists such as Deerhoof, Today is the Day, Atrax Morgue, Aube, and the previously mentioned Dissecting Table, this record is a charcuterie board of experimental noise. Clock ticking, whimpering, sampling, guitar noise, piano, clashing pots and pans, vocal experimentations, and a shit ton of whirring. All looped! Forever and ever. "Read Banana Fish. Read Banana Fish."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview with Lucas Taylor of This is More Than a Place

Aug '26: MUTT's 2026 Recommended Releases of the Month + Introduction

Interview with Will of Pyrogenetic Waste and Melancholy Dreams